Thursday 24 May 2018

Great Yarmouth Bed and Breakfast Arcade Raid


Growing up near Great Yarmouth, we really were spoilt when it came to the arcades.  In addition to the awesome arcades down the seafront, we had arcades on holiday camps and in pubs.  One holiday camp in the village where I lived even had an OutRun DLX!

Back in the day, pub games rooms were fairly common.  Adults would be in the bar whilst the kids would keep out of trouble in the games room.  There was one pub within walking distance from my house with a cool games room.  The pub was a short walk down a dirt track, across a field and along Breydon Water.  The pub was called ‘The Fisherman’s Inn’ and I remember going there after school and playing Cisco Heat, Shinobi, Street Fighter II’ and Toki, among others.


After one summer, the pub was refurbished.  The games room became a restaurant and the arcade games disappeared forever.  I recently contacted the pub, enquiring about the whereabouts of the old machines.  I knew it was a longshot, and a couple of days later I got a reply.  “I’m afraid I am unable to advise what happened to those gaming machines as they would have belonged to the tenant at the time of The Fisherman’s Inn.”  I was grateful to receive a reply, even though it was pretty much what I’d expected.  It was worth a try I thought. 

Then the unexpected happened!

A little while later I received another email.  “I just had a thought…I cannot remember the last time they got played on, but at my Mums house, she has old school arcade machines.  The age where they use the old 10p coins.”

It turns out that the Mum had moved in to a former Bed and Breakfast around ten years ago, and the machines had sat there in the basement all this time. 

So begins my next Raid!


The machines were located in the basement, which was formerly a bar / games room.  The cabs were a bit grubby and it was obvious they had sat there a long time.  But under the grime they appear to be in really nice condition and should clean up really well.  It’s great they’ve been in doors all this time in nice dry conditions.

Game World Jamma cabinet


I haven’t seen one quite like this before.  It’s a nice narrow cab, making it great for home use, and I really like the gold T-moulding.  Inside the cab is a nice clean Bomb Jack pcb, the perfect game for the cab!


Sega / Gremlin Astro Blaster Cabaret


The Raid highlight for me!  I absolutely love this little cab.  Other than some light surface rust on the coin door, the cab looks great.




The nameplate on the back.


Is that a rare manufacturers sticker on the hood?  Erm, no.  It’s a 80’s Heineken beer mat!  I’m tempted to leave this in place.


The Getaway: High Speed II


I had toyed with the idea of getting a pinball table in the past, but lack of space and expense ha put me off.  However this was just too good to pass up!


I had watched a couple of YouTube videos beforehand with transportation tips, so had some idea of what to expect.  It was by far the trickiest machine to get out of the building.  In fact the other machines were a walk in the park by comparison!  I had to label all the wires and disconnect the backbox to get it through narrow doors, manoeuvre the machine round a tight twisty corridor and then take it up some stairs.

I really like the look of this one, it almost has an OutRun vibe. 


Lord of the Rings Fruit Machine


This was bought as part of the deal and I will be selling it on.

Cabs out of the basement and on the ground floor.


The machines on the van locked and loaded!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jase, is there a way we can contact each other about these 2 cabarets (astro blaster & "video play") ? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, yes sure. Are you on any of the arcade forums, such as Arcade Otaku and Ukvac? Alternatively let me know your email address and I'll send you a message. Many thanks, Jase

      Delete